Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Shrimp Curry

Last Year in Summer I was in Orlando with my family visiting Disney world. After an entire week of eating out, we started craving for Indian food. I called up my friend who used to work in Orlando and asked him for a Indian restaurant reference, He suggested Dakshin. In my humble opinion, it has been the best restaurant I have been to in the USA. I dont know if it was because I was very hungry or what... but me and my family had a great dinner. For starters we ordered something called Kolambi Fry (Shrimps soaked in a spicy marinade and shallow pan fried). I loved the dish so much that I wanted to learn the dish. After I got back to boston, I searched the web for the dish and came across a recipe. When I made it, I was very satisfied with the outcome. The biggest mistake I did was I forgot to write down the recipe. So today when I felt like making the dish again, I couldnt find the recipe. Finally I came up with this recipe which was not what I wanted but came out pretty good anyway...


Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds shrimp
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 jalapenos chopped
  • 2 medium sized onions
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes
  • 10 curry leaves
  • 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp lemon juice

Method:

Marinate the shrimp in red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice for 15-20 minutes. In a wok, heat some oil and add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to sputter, add coriander powder. Then add onions and saute till they become golden. Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till all become light brown. Add the curry leaves. Add the tomatoes, jalapenos and salt, and fry till oil starts seperating from the sides. Now add the shrimp with the marinate. Mix it well and add the cumin powder. Add half a glass of water and bring to a boil. in the end garnish with coriander leaves. You can eat this with rice or chapatis. Hope you enjoy this recipe.

No comments: