Sunday, March 11, 2007

Goat Curry


I think this has been my best attempt at making goat curry. I have made goat curry both in south indian style and north indian style. the major difference between the two style is that in South indian Style I add coconut milk and curry leaves. The other big thing I have started to do is I pressure cook the meat to make it soft and tender.. I love it when the meat is falling off the bone. Getting goat meat has also become a little easier around the boston region. I used to buy it in Quincy from this middle eastern halal store.. but the meat was not that good... Somebody at work suggested I go to Cheema's on Cambridge Street in Allston, and I think they have their permanent customer in me...

Ingredients:

Goat Meat cut in small one inch chunks - 3 Pounds
Ghee (Clarified Butter) - 4 table spoons
Cinamon Stick - 2 inches
Cardamom - 5-6 pieces
Cloves - 5-6 pieces
Onions - 2 large chopped
Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 chopped
Potatoes - 2 cut in big pieces
Salt to taste
Red Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander (Dhaniya) Powder - 2 tsp
MDF Meat Masala - 2-3 tsp

Method:

Heat the Ghee in Stainless steel wok
Add the cinamom stick, cardamoms and cloves.
Saute till they start to crackle.
Add the onions and saute them till they are a nice golden colour.
Add all the powder spices except the meat masala and mix it into the onions
Now add the meat sear it so it gets cooked on all sides.
Once the meat is browned on all sides add the tomatoes and mix it into the meat.
Transfer all of this into the pressure cooker and add enough water to immerse the meat.
Add 2-3 teaspoons of MDF Meat Masala and the potatoes and close the cooker.
Cook for 20 miuntes.
Put the cooker under cold water if you want to check if the meat became tender.
Pressure cook again if it has not become tender.
Make sure you have enough water or else you might burn your gravy!
If the gravy is too watery just let it cook on medium heat.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice.


No comments: